Saturday, May 29, 2010

Just a bunch of sickies...

It all began about two and a half weeks ago. I call it the perfect storm. Life at the Pace house has been nothing less of horrible the last two and a half weeks. It all started with Makenna, so we'll blame her. She got a fever on Thursday night and then proceeded to move into a cold. Her fever continued off and on until Monday. I decided to take her to the doctor since her fever wasn't breaking and she was miserable. Right before we left to go to the doctor, I noticed Ella felt warm too, so I figured I might as well take her with me. So away we went and left Cole at home with Grandma. (At this time Cole acted like he was getting a cold, so I figured there was no need to take him to the doctor... bad mistake.) We get to the doctor and Makenna's oxygen levels are in the 80's and should be in the nineties, so they give her a breathing treatment and oxygen. They finally get it up to about 90-91, but as soon as they take the oxygen off, it drops. They have no idea why. They want to do a chest x-ray, but considering that she won't breathe deeply, the doctor decides that would be a waste of time and just send us on our way with a prescription to treat her for Pneumonia and her double ear infection. The doctor checks Ella and she also has an ear infection. Away we go to the pharmacy and get prescriptions and come home. Later that day, I notice that Cole's eyes are bloodshot and I start thinking that he may have an ear infection that has gone into his eyes (he had that last year.) So the next day we go back to the doctor's and find out that Cole has a double ear infection and pink eye. Great. Off to the pharmacy we go again. His ear infection is so bad, they want to see him back in five days to make sure it is getting better. Three days later, Makenna is still running a fever and doing horribly, so off to the doctor's we go again. They switch her prescription and she finally starts feeling better on Sunday. However, Sunday comes and Cole now has a fever running about 104. Monday is his follow-up for his ears, so back to the doctor I go again for visit #5. His ears look better, so as I walk out of the doctor's office I am asked if I need a follow up, to which I reply "I think we are good now." Bad choice of words. Wednesday night, one day shy of finishing his antibiotic, Cole begins getting hives. I figure he is allergic to the antibiotic and stop giving it to him. The next morning it looks a little worse, but I figure now that I have stopped giving him his antibiotic, it will go away. Friday, it looks even worse, so I go buy Benadryl and figure that will help. Nope. Saturday morning we get up and he looks like this... (keep in mind, these pictures do not do it justice...)




Not only is it covering his stomach and back, it's all over his arms, legs and neck. So, we decide he needs to go to the doctor. Again, I go to the doctor today and they tell me he is allergic to penicillin. His lovely allergic reaction could last "several weeks..." Super excited. His ear infections are also back, so we switched his medication and have to go back in on Monday. If they aren't looking better, we have to go to an injection series to clear it up. Also, during this lovely crisis, Adam had a fever, cold and sore throat that wouldn't go away. After a week and a half, he finally decided to go to insta-care today and he has a sinus infection. I also have had a pretty bad cold during this time, but luckily, I am feeling better now. Hopefully we can get on the mend soon and be done at the doctor's office soon. All in all, our family has had 7 ear infections, four fevers, one sinus infection, pink eye, an awesome rash, and a cold. We've been to the doctor seven times (soon to be eight) and have had nine prescriptions filled. I may or may not have a nervous breakdown soon...

Two kids exhausted and sick.


Makenna at her worst. Cute face huh?


4 Comments:

Hanson3 said...

Oh my gosh!!!! That sounds like a couple of weeks of hell. Kaden, got a really bad rash that looked exactly like Cole's! He ended up being allergic to amoxacilin. I always feel bad when
Kaden is sick, but when all three kids are sick? Geez, you are one tough momma!

Sheila Madsen said...

Oh, my goodness my heart goes out to you all. Remember when you were a kid and playing "Nancy Nurse" with your dolls was fun? It's not so fun in real life is it? Hang in there. Hopefully no one else will get sick for the rest of the year!!

Lena said...

OMG Marianne, I'm so sorry! That is a lot to deal with especially when you aren't a 100% doing well either. I hope you and your family recover soon. I love that Cole is smiling while showing off his body rash...saaaaweeet! Cute!

Challise and Rusty said...

Mom of the year!! Good grief! I would have locked myself in a room and curled up in the corner. Hope everyone is good now.