Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Easy Job


As Marianne previously mentioned, I work at Bach Homes as their Purchasing Agent. It is very busy right now with the market being very weak. When we were building a lot, it was really just riding a wave, and trying to keep on top of everything. Now my days are filled with bidding new vendors who want our business, updating cost breakdown reports to make sure we are still making money on our houses, reviewing options in order to generate more revenue, updating house plans to initiate cost reductions through value engineering, and a lot of other stuff that is very boring. A lot of people ask me how I feel about my position, and how safe I think it is. I actually feel very confident in my position at Bach, (famous last words of a fool, right?), primarily because they will always need a purchasing agent, and who better than your's truly, right? I spend a lot of late nights at the office to keep up on all the tasks that get thrown my way due to our minimized staff, and it still seems like I am just barely keeping my head above water. The stress involved with trying to keep our costs down in this tough market is a lot more than I thought I would face, and I wake up at nights a lot trying to think of ways we can reduce them even more.

When I am finally done, I come home to a great dinner that Marianne has made, and a few hours with the kids. As much as I love Makenna and Cole, two hours sometimes seems like 119 minutes too long. Marianne never makes it past 8:00 am before she is completely ready for the day, which is more than I can say for other wives I know... She makes sure the house stays clean (as clean as possible with two kids), makes dinner, always makes sure I have clean clothes to wear the next day, exercises, and makes sure the kids are taken care of (doubly tough since they are both in diapers...) On top of that, she makes sure the finances are in order, and pays the bills every month. Oh yeah, and she always makes sure we've got a pitcher of orange juice in the fridge.

I've got the easy job.

3 Comments:

Melissa said...

Wow Adam! I am wondering where I can find a wife like that! You are definitely living the good life! ha ha!

Team Oakeson said...

Marianne -- It sounds like you are MUCH appreciated in your family. I am starting to belive that I need a wife to help me keep things running around here. You have DOUBLE the kids we do & you're running circles around me! :)

Natalie said...

Marianne - I apparently need to take some good housekeeping lessons from you!!