Saturday, October 18, 2008

Adam Andretti

They didn't have a #1 car, or that would have been mine. The helmet looks lame, but once I got going, I was glad I had it on.

This is the straight away where we got up to 140 mph. Not fast enough...

When do I get a car like this?

White knuckled, while holding my breath, I got the chance this week to do 12 laps around the Miller Raceway track in Tooele while I was behind the wheel. I still hold my breath when I think about driving that car as fast as we were taking them.

Before they let us behind the wheel, we got a short tutorial on making the most of our turns so we could take them quicker, how to maximize tire contact with the road, and using the brakes to help us go faster. Then, they let us have a chance behind the wheel.

We were actually split up into two groups, and I wanted to go second so I could see what the first group did so that I could do it better. Bad idea. I saw everything that was done wrong, including one guy who spun off of the track, and it scared the bejeezes out of me. Of course, I also didn't want to be like the guy they had to take off of the track because he was going to slow that he was holding everyone else back. What to do, what to do....

So I got in the lead car so that I could set the pace for the others (get it, Pace car... Hey, all my life I've never been able to say that!) Anyway, I was following behind a pro that was showing us the best place to hit the track, but we were told (and later found out) that the pro could drive a ton faster than we ever could, so as the pace car, we would go as fast as we were able to keep up. Great. More pressure. If I go slow, everyone behind me is upset that we're not squealing around every turn. If I go too fast, it's my bank account that pays for the $46,000 car. Oh yeah, and if you forgot who you were reading about, I don't have $46,000 in my account.

Well, I did the Pace name proud that day, and I took every turn as fast as I dared. The tires were squealing, and most of the turns I drifted around, just hoping I didn't slide off into a wall. As much fun as it was, I was almost glad when it was done so I could finally breath again.

Then we got to go with a pro, as we sat in the passenger seat to see how it is really done. Lucky me, I get the 55 year old woman. No offense to 55 year old women, but they typically aren't known for their fast driving abilities. Little did I know, that this English lady used to race in the Formula 1 races, and her husband designed the track. I was like a scared little girl during the first lap she took me around. I thought that I took the turns fast, but she lit the tires up, and drifted around every turn like some crappy "Fast and Furious" movie. She was as calm as a 55 year old woman should have been while picking up a blouse at Dillards. After the first lap, I told her to let it go, and she didn't hesitate. Exhilarating doesn't properly describe it. Maybe the proper adjective is scared-out-of-my-mind-light-headed-I-think-I-crapped-my-pants exhilarated.

I highly recommend this experience if you ever get the chance. You won't drive your wussy 4 cylinder Mazda 6 the same way again.

4 Comments:

Unknown said...

HaHa Adam, you had me laughing through this entire post. I was even feeling exhilarated (as you put it) just by hearing you describe it. Sounds so fun! :)

pacemaker said...

Dad here. I guess you haven't rode with your mother lately. She can squell a few tires. I guess it will get worse when she is 55.

Hanson3 said...

I am SO jealous!!!!! I have always wanted to do something like that! My hyundai goes about 110 and thats pretty quick but 140! I'd be peeing my pants too. :)

pacemaker said...

Thanks, Jerry!
It's probably good I wasn't there watching, I would've had a heart attack, for sure!!!