Sunday, June 8, 2008

Cole-Bear

Nope, the title of this blog is not to show phonetically how to pronounce the last name of the host for "The Colbert Report", but actually the nick-name most often used for our second born. It has seemed to me that lately Makenna has been getting most of the screen time on the blog due to her recent injury, her episode at the petting zoo (I'm glad I wasn't there), and her endeavor into the adventures of going potty on the toilet.

Cole is quite possibly one of the cutest little boys I know. Ok, so I might be a little biased, but there are quite a few little boys out there that I only hope will grow into their ugliness to become ruggedly handsome men. I know that was the case with me. I'll admit that at one time, I had a face that only a mother and Roxanne Elkface could love, (ask me about her some other time... and yes, that was her real last name), but Marianne tells me that I'm not too bad looking now, and I don't think she is a liar. Not about something like that, anyway...

Cole has a great little attitude. He doesn't talk a lot at all, but he also doesn't cry very much. He rarely ever throws temper-tantrums, and he is pretty easy to please. We were able to break him of his pacifier habit pretty easily, and as long as he has his baby blanket to chew on, he's pretty content. Cole is not very interested in speaking, and actually gets pretty upset when we try to get him to talk. He is very good at sign language though, and picks it up pretty easily. We only have to go over a new sign with him a couple of times before he gets it.

Cole is very good about sharing with Makenna, even though the same courtesy isn't as readily returned. Here's a few pictures of him that we've taken in the last couple of weeks that I thought summed him up pretty well.

Cole has found that he can help himself to the cheerios we keep in the lazy susan. I have replaced the child locks three times, because he just busts open the door. Strong little punk...

Either we spend the whole meal feeding him, or he "feeds" himself, and it takes a couple minutes to cleaning up. Plus, this way the dog gets fed too...

Cole's and Makenna's favorite place to play while mom and dad are getting ready in the morning. Cole made sure to bring his blanket with him for a good chewing session...

We have to make sure that Makenna stays in timeout, but Cole will often times just go to timeout on his own when he is upset about something. This was when he was upset that his blanket was being washed. Cute little bugger!

Marianne and I didn't teach him this... At least I know that I didn't, but I assume it is just what kids do when they figure out that their nostrils fit their fingers perfectly... We actually don't encourage this, but we thought we'd at least get a picture before we got after him. And that's when Makenna thought it would be fun to do it too. Thanks, Cole...

Old Mr. Holland said it the best... "beautiful, beautiful, beautiful...Cole." He's our little smile-maker.

4 Comments:

Natalie said...

He is very cute,I must admit! He is on my list, in the top 4 of little boys I know..... aren't they fun??

pacemaker said...

Hmmm, Roxanne Elkface, that I remember, infact, I'm probably the only other person besides you that does!! And this mother does love you and your face as well! Your kids are both so cute, Cole hasn't found the need to talk as he communicates well enough with signing, which infact makes for a much less frustrated (almost) two year old. One day you'll be trying to get him to "shut up" and remember a few signs yourself!
He's definately "King" Cole and Makenna is a litte Princess with attitude for sure. Their little laughs make me laugh.

The Mitchells said...

WOW looks like a fun mess that you had to clean up. What a little cutie!!

Melissa said...

What a great post! He certainly is a doll! I LOVE that he puts himself in timeout when he is upset, and I can certainly relate to the whole blanket washing episodes! You have a beautiful family!