Saturday, May 10, 2008

Makenna Is The First


That's right, Makenna is the first person in our family to ever break a bone. Marianne and I have never had a broken bone, however I doubt that Cole will ever go through his life without a broken arm, leg, or both. He is extremely accident prone. That is partly the reason it was such a shock when my sister Alison called me tell me that Marianne had gone to the hospital because Makenna had broken her arm. Marianne tried to call me of course, actually about 14 times. Plus a text message. Plus an attempt to call me on my office phone. However, when your &$#% phone turns its "silent" mode on in your pocket, it is kind of hard to get those attempted calls.

Makenna had been climbing up the slide at Arctic Circle, (don't even get me started on that place's food...), and she turned around to talk to Marianne. When she turned back to finish her climb, she reached too far to the right, and toppled over the edge. She landed on her wrists, and that's when the screaming started. It was pretty obvious to Marianne and my sister Alison that she had broken her arm, so it was off to the hospital.

Makenna screamed the entire way there, of course, and it wasn't until after Alta View Hospital gave her a red teddy bear that she finally started to calm down. Diane, Marianne's mom, came and got Cole to take him to her house for his nap. I got to the hospital just as Makenna was getting her X-ray done. When Marianne came back from the X-ray with Makenna, they both started crying when they saw me. Makenna cried because she wanted her daddy, Marianne cried because I had finally arrived and up until that time she had been a nervous wreck. I can't say I blame her, but seriously, the Arctic Food isn't that bad. Ok, it has made me almost cry before too...

Makenna calmed down again pretty quickly, and the doctor came to tell us that she had indeed broken her arm, but at least it wasn't a serious break. She had a "buckle" break, which apparently means that the bone just buckled a little, but didn't fracture. She didn't have to get a hard plaster cast, but she did have to get a soft cast, with a hard splint that molded to her hand. She will have to wear it for 2-3 weeks, until it is healed. That particular break is the most common for children her age. If that's the case, I probably ought to just hold onto that splint and wraps, and we can just use them on Cole in a year or so.

Makenna was pretty proud of her little cast, and she has been very good not to try and take off the wrapping. We can take it off for baths, so that made this morning's bath quite a bit easier. It is still pretty tender, and she can't move it very much when the cast is off without it hurting. She has already gotten the hang of the "sympathy card", which she has tried to use to her advantage quite a bit. When I got after her for not sharing a book with Cole, she held up her cast and said "arm hurt!" She still went to time out.

All in all, it definitely could have been worse. We got the world's most expensive 6" stuffed animal, we got some medical bandages that will undoubtedly look extremely disgusting after the next 3 weeks are up, and I got off work a few hours early on a Friday. Not too bad. Now if only the Arctic Circle food has a similar outlook.

5 Comments:

pacemaker said...

I was pretty upset myself when I heard she broke her arm! She'll bounce back quicker than you will! I have a little surprise for her, since she broke her arm! Poor little girl.

The Mitchells said...

Poor little Mckenna :( She is one smart cookie already playing the sympathy card, hey i would be too!! Tell her Chris and Brittianey said they feel bad for you so they want to give you some candy next time they see you. :)

Natalie said...

Poor little babe! She is a trooper however!! Marianne - I hope your Mother's Day was nice! (Adam, don't make me come and kick your #$*) I would have to agree with you about Artic Circle's food, it pretty much sucks, especially their chicken rings, (not really chicken, don't know what kind of meat it is)....

Melissa said...

Poor little girl! That is so sad! Sounds like she has been pretty brave! I don't look forward to hospital visits, but with boys like your Cole & my Cash it is probably inevitable! Glad she learned how to play the sympathy card so soon! That is so funny!

Lena said...

I can only imagine what was going through Marianne's head calling you and trying to rush Makenna to the hospital....I'm glad Makenna wasn't hurt badly. From the picture she does look like she enjoys showing off her cast. She's a cutie.